Well the NaNoWriMo anomaly is defeated for another year.
Anyway, no let up Admiral Jespah was sent more questions to answer (http://boldlyreading.com/2013/11/22/blog-prompt-14-beginnings/) so without further ado, l shall tackle them.
Let’s talk about beginnings—
Space: The final frontier
These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise
Its five-year mission
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no
man one has gone before.
Have all isn’t that how Star Trek begins? After all it from that simple phase first used in the 1960’s that all Star Trek grow out of. Hence why Enterprise series and Star Trek: into Darkness ends with it.
But you could equally argue that it was Gene pitch of “Wagon Train to the Stars!” which got Star Trek on to our TV’s and all of the later versions and series still trace their beginning back to those simple pitch.
Anyway onto the questions: –
Q1. First sentences, first kisses, first missions, etc. – what are some of your favorite ‘firsts’ on Ad Astra?
A1. That a tough question with a far to long answer so I try to get to the five first that spring to my mind in no particular order they are: –
1) The very talented trekfan first date story for Seven and Paul, “I Don’t Want It To End” (http://www.adastrafanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=1695) because this story is so sweet and it fair to say both characters remain believable and the date feel like the start of a real love affair rather than a force device.
2) The next is the lean mean writing machine that we all know as Jespah and her First Eriecho story “Release” (http://www.adastrafanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=1115), The one that introduces Eriecho to us, a Vulcan raise in prison unfairly for her whole life and only gets a pardon when Vulcan is destroy be Nero. A wonderful person who is trying so hard to fit in on the Vulcan camp on Mars.
3) I wouldn’t be me if I did give one shout out to the wonderful Weekly Prompts thread on the forum (http://forums.adastrafanfic.com/index.php?/forum/17-the-weekly-prompts/), where we get to meet so many wonderful characters for the first time and a variety of first draft of the great story that fill the Archive.
4) Now a left field choice, the key first of the wonderful Ad Astra Forums the key Heya Everybody (introductions and all that) (http://forums.adastrafanfic.com/index.php?/topic/10-heya-everybody-introductions-and-all-that/) Since it the starting point for meeting and understanding the wonderful writers who appear in the Forums and across the archives.
5) Okay my fifth choice is a little vain but it was my first story posted to the Ad Astra Archive, “Argonaut – Prime Minister Incident” (http://www.adastrafanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=1649) the failed first contact by Captain Lily Fitzroy. A story born of a throw away line in one of my WFW stories over on the forum. To which I’m greatly indebt to Lil black Dog for helping me through getting from an alpha draft up to Ad Astra posting standard.
So that my five ‘first’ choices I could name many more featuring the great work of the usual regulars of Ad Astra.
Q2. What sorts of openings and firsts and premieres get you to keep reading?
A2. Um that a question I’m not sure I know the true answer, the best answer I can give is the openings are the ones with a hook. Whether the hook is the situation, the character or the overall plot mystery.
Q3. How do you convert blank pages and blank computer documents into works of art?
A3. By releasing the inner muse, then painstakingly adding one letter or one line at a time, as I chase and mark the muse fading patterns onto the chosen format.
Q4. How do you get first ideas?
A4. Any creative person least favorite question, I could claim I get them from the idea store like a certain professional writers claims when asked, but in truth, I don’t know. I get them from newspaper articles, dreams, what-if thoughts, or just a throwaway line in another WFW Forum story or in a song.
In short I’m an idea magpie, and I’ll take whatever ideas take my fancy and I think I can do justice to.
Q5. What gets you started, or re-started?
A5. The urge to escape this mundane world and imagine what it be like to soar between the stars to meet new civilizations and face alien challenges and see people who live up to the standards of real heroes and succeed.
Well that’s my two-penny worth’s on the topic of beginnings for you Admiral Jespah.
As always thanks for reading, and feel free to comment unless you a spammer in which case all phasers are now set to heavy stun.